Monday, June 27, 2011

A Trip to Martinique


Earlier this month, I took my first trip to Martinique as a diabetic.
There were a few things that I remembered about the island from my previous trips that made me nervous to have to tag along diabetes.

#1-I swim almost every day when I'm there.  But now, I'll have to check my glucose before and after swimming which means carrying extra strips with me.

#2-Like Black America, Martiniquian meals are rich in starches, so I'll have to be strict about carb counting.

#3-I wasn't quite sure how to I felt about telling my in-laws about being diagnosed with diabetes.  The diagnosis came a couple of weeks before my husband and I celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary and I felt guilty about it.  I figure, who wants a sick wife within a year of marriage.  While he and I are working through this (mainly him reassuring me that he's here through sickness and in health), I wasn't quite sure how his parents would take the news.

Plus, since I am not fluent in French,  I felt horribly nervous that I wouldn't understand their first reaction.

On the flight over, I had a low blood sugar.  I'm not sure where it came from, but it caused me to inform half the flight crew (in search of someone who spoke enough English to understand) of my situation. It turns out that when people hear that you're diabetic and that you are in need--they want to help (what a relief).

For two and a half weeks my eating schedule was all over the place!  I was sometimes visiting family, sightseeing, or swimming and then realized that too many hours had gone by since the last time I ate.

But, alas, I made it through the vacation.  I had some low points, but overall it was well worth it.

p.s. We ended up having a discussion about diabetes with one of his diabetic Aunts. It turns out that he has about four diabetics in his family, so it was totally different than my family.  I had a private conversation (in French) with his Aunt in which I thanked her for sharing her story with me because these past four months have been turbulent. I didn't have the vocabulary to tell her that I worried about how you all (the family) would feel about me being a diabetic and that I was completely OVERJOYED to be loved (and perhaps even more) by them.

video






2 comments:

  1. WOW!! The pictures are beautiful! It's so nice to also know that people do really want to help us. Looks like you had an amazing time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much DL for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    Yes, people do want to help (I guess I have to get in the habit of letting them know that I need help).

    Yep, I had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete